Friday, March 13, 2009

Miss March is Stupid Fun at the Movies

Miss March is hands down the biggest surprise of the year thus far. Having never heard of it until a week before its release, I can't say I was particularly enthused to see what I was sure was going to be another early year trainwreck. Given the plot, I assumed it was yet another lame attempt to bring in the teenage male crowd who flock to the theater hoping to see some skin. Well, the film has plenty of skin for sure, but the surprise is that I actually found myself laughing. A lot.

On their senior prom night, Eugene (Zach Cregger) promised Cindi (Raquel Alessi) that they would have sex, but just before that, Eugene got drunk, tripped down the stairs, bumped his head real good, and was put in a coma. Four years go by before Eugene awakes and finds out that Cindi is now modeling for Playboy. So he and his friend, Tucker (Trevor Moore) trek to the Playboy mansion in the hopes of finding her.

Miss March is one of those movies that simply cannot be defended. Even if I wanted to make a case for it, I don't think I could. The film is rude, crude, over the top, and maybe even a bit offensive to the more sensitive crowd out there, but isn't that what these teen sex comedies are all about? There's nothing special about this picture. There is nothing here that separates it from the multitude of other films of this ilk, but I laughed, plain and simple.

Out of all of the films I've seen this year, Miss March is probably the second funniest, falling only to Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. The difference is that this film is supposed to be funny and I thought it was, more or less. However, it does push the envelope, almost to the limit. You'll see some pretty gnarly imagery that many will find off-putting. Remember that zipper scene in There's Something About Mary? Well, amplify that by about 10 and you'll get the gist of what this movie is going for.

I also thought the two leads were quite good. They were charismatic and their characters didn't seem like carbon copies of other superior film characters (like the boys in College ripping off Superbad). While Zach Cregger pulled off his virgin routine competently, Trevor Moore stole the show, giving off a weird Jim Carrey like vibe, even going so far as to wear similar Hawaiian shirts à la Ace Ventura. At first this bugged me, but I soon realized that this kid is actually pretty funny. He brought the best elements of Carrey, mainly the stretchy facial expressions, and put his own spin on the humor. I bought it and I laughed.

I fear I will be in the minority on this one (especially considering the current 6% percent approval from critics), but I found Miss March to be much better than expected. Really, I have nothing else to say about this. Humor is subjective. What worked for me may not work for others. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who check this flick out will hate it. But I'm stupid, young, and immature and I laughed enough to justify a recommendation. Proceed with caution.

Miss March receives 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie Josh, I won't be seeing this. HOWEVER, as soon as A Haunting in Connecticut comes out...I'm expecting a review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you liked it too? too bad you don't have a profile on rotten tomatoes (yet) so you can't help bring up the percentage, hah.

    ReplyDelete