Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pink Panther 2 Better Than Original...

...although that's really not saying all that much. The Pink Panther 2 is a film that I seriously doubt many people care about, so excuse me if I don't sound too ecstatic to talk about it. I'm a college student. Getting my schoolwork done is hard enough and talking about a mediocre follow-up to a mediocre film doesn't really get my blood rushing with excitement. Don't take my cynical tone as negative though. Although the critics at my screening seemed to despise the film, I turned my brain off and walked out pleasantly surprised at what I had seen, although I think it falls just shy of being recommendable.

Steve Martin once again steps into the shoes of Jacques Clouseau, a character made famous by legendary actor Peter Sellers, and if you saw the previous film you pretty much know what to expect from this one. The Pink Panther diamond is stolen again and Clouseau has to get it back. Basically, it's the first one all over again only with different scenarios, like National Treasure 2.

But unlike National Treasure 2, The Pink Panther 2 isn't a horrendous piece of filmmaking. It's merely corny and forgettable. Although I wasn't exactly a fan of the first film, I also didn't find it to be the abomination that others made it out to be. The same holds true for this one and I believe it surpasses the previous film in entertainment value. Believe it or not, I laughed quite a bit near the beginning of the film, shocked at how much I was enjoying it. But as it went on, it started to sag tremendously and became pretty redundant. This is in large part due to the extensive use of slapstick. As a general rule, you're going to want to avoid slapstick comedy if you're trying to be funny. This film ignored that rule and is its main downfall.

Just as well, everything in between was boring. The love story between Clouseau and Nicole, played by Emily Mortimer, was tired and unconvincing. But does that really even matter? Yes, the movie is predictable and it's fairly obvious who nabbed the Pink Panther diamond, but this film isn't about story, so it's a moot point.

The film is about Clouseau and his zany adventures. I can see why many people will hate this movie, but as I sat there, I admired Steve Martin's dedication to this character. He did things that many actors would consider humiliating and he did it all for the sake of comedy. While it didn't always pan out the way he might have hoped, I was impressed that Martin devoted himself entirely to this silly role.

As I walked out of the screening, I mentioned how I thought the film was "harmless." A nearby critic disagreed and explained how sexist, racist, and blasphemous it was. A lot of critics will probably agree, but I believe it is all about context. Clouseau is like a child. He isn't aware that some of the things he says are hurtful to other people. He's only trying to help. Yes, some Catholics might find it offensive and it has a pretty unexpected racist remark about Asians, but when you step back and look at it, it's nothing more than harmless fun. Besides, Clouseau learns his lesson by the end of the film. Either way, it's The Pink Panther 2. Come on. You can't take this film seriously.

And that is the main reason I found it somewhat enjoyable. Anybody who walks into this movie ready to tear it apart with in depth analysis and witty, condescending critic talk doesn't realize how innocent and stupid it is trying to be. It doesn't claim to be a classic and only tries to amuse you for an hour and a half. Although it eventually runs out of steam, I believe it mostly accomplishes that goal. Still, there are better movies to waste your time with, so I am not going to recommend The Pink Panther 2.

The Pink Panther 2 receives 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment